January 28, 2007

Cough, hack, read, knit

This sums up our weekend.

How to survive a cold

I spent a great deal of Friday and Saturday camped out on the couch. Three of the 4 books you see in the pile under my soup bowl were checked out from the library on Thursday and finished by Saturday. I knitted, I snacked, I blew my nose constantly and drank glass after glass of delicious juice. Rob is also suffering, but I've chosen not to photograph his little germ-laden portion of our world because, well, it's not as messy as mine.

I did, however, finish Rob's hat:

Rob's Autumn Fire Hat

It's knit with 1 skein of Manos in Color #104 on size 6 needles. I picked up stitches along the bottom and did about 3" of stockinette that I tacked to the inside as I bound off. It's sure to keep his ears warm.

So what have I read in the last few days?

Lori Wick's book, Where the Wild Rose Blooms, the first in her Rocky Mountain Memories series. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it coming off of the other Christian romance I'd just finished reading. But this is a well written historical that does a good job creating likable characters. I've found myself wishing I hadn't imposed my book buying moratorium, but the other books in the series will go on my to-read list.

I've read three Jane Churchill's as well from her Jane Jeffry series. War and Peas, Fear of Frying and The Merchant of Menace. These aren't psychological thrillers, highly forensic tales or serial killer novels. These are fun, cosy mysteries that I've highly enjoyed. I try to purchase these when I can, but I've borrowed from the library in keeping with no-buy dictate I've made.

I've moved on to this:
Knitting with a Geek

I'm knitting on fingerless gloves for Rob out of some Galway wool I had on #5 needles. Pattern is the Cigar gloves from Knitty. I'm currently reading Wil Wheaton's book reading Just a Geek. I've been reading his blog since Allison posted about it and have enjoyed it very much since then.

No comments: